<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, August 08, 2003

Five Life Goals That No One Knows About
Well, Five Life Goals That Few People Know About

1. To hike the trail to Angel's Landing in Zion Canyon, Utah. Zion Canyon was one of the most remarkable places I've ever seen, and I have long regretted that I didn't make this hike when I had the chance.

2. To dive the Great Barrier Reef. In 1996, I solemly swore that in the year 2000 I would see the Great Barrier Reef and finish my trip by seeing the U.S. Men's Volleyball team compete in the Sydney Olympics. In fact, I can vividly remember where I was when I made that promise, and the way I gritted my teeth when I did it. I kept thinking about that moment while I spent the summer of 2000 in a hermetically sealed skyscraper in Houston.

3. To argue in front of the United States Supreme Court. Of course, it's harder than it looks. One of my favorite law professors wants to argue before the Supremes so badly that he offers to do the whole thing -- research, writing, everything -- for free if he can argue before the Court. Of course, he charges a King's ransom for his expertise otherwise.

4. To raise a son with whom I have a close relationship.

5. To like myself. To achieve perfection -- or to finally give up the painful pursuit of perfection. To achieve Buddha nature. To get to the point where I can recollect my past experiences without wincing. To transcend.

 7:23 PM

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?