<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, August 06, 2003

Things I Saw On The Way To Work Today

A middle-aged Hispanic woman walking through the cars backed up at a traffic light. It's 7:45 a.m., but she already has the look of a woman who has worked a long shift at a lousy job. She sees no reason why she shouldn't just wade through the commuters instead of walking the extra twenty-five feet to the crosswalk.

An SUV driving the wrong way in a Chick-Fil-A parking lot; the SUV took the faster route, while I followed the signs and went all the way around the building. I feel my cheeks flush with anger.

A magnificently appointed mansion, owned by a man who earned it with his charm and the blunt force of his will.

Water spraying out of a water main, in the middle of the packed, dry dirt left by crews renovating the main road running through the mansions of River Oaks. It hasn't rained in a long time, and I think my lawn needs more watering.

The bumper of the car in front of me.

The bumper of the car in front of me.

The bumper of the car in front of me.

The hot, yellow glare of the sun in my eyes. I didn't know that the color yellow could be so uncomfortable.

A woman in a tailored white suit, walking to work through the tunnels. She keeps unconsciously tugging at her suit, half-smoothing and half-tugging. She is either uncomfortable with the suit, or the body that's in it.

My reflection in the silver doors of the elevator. My hair is pasted and sorted, and my shoes are polished, but my lumpy body makes my clothes disheveled in some places and overtight in others. I think instead about the photo I just printed out this morning, of me laughing with Jonah. It's a good photo of me.

 9:07 AM

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?