<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, October 28, 2003

Another Modest Proposal

I am for the complete and total abolition of Daylight Saving Time, right now, no excuses. It's a bunch of Jimmy Carter nonsense, even if it was invented by Benjamin Franklin. The energy supposedly saved by this half-baked scheme may be logically defensible, but there is a flaw in the plan that I have never seen adequately addressed: babies have no use for our ridiculous fiddling with the clocks. Thus, Mommy and Daddy go to bed an hour later than normal, but Jonah gets up an hour earlier.

If we're going to all agree to delude ourselves that the clocks have changed, I would appreciate it if someone would explain it to Jonah.

Poor kid. He smashed the end of his finger with a wine bottle on Sunday night -- it's a long story -- and now there's a big bloodblister under the nail. The pediatrician says there's really nothing to do about it in a kid that small, though I have memories of my grandfather offering to drill a hole in my toenail under similar circumstances.

I'm grateful that he didn't get hurt any worse than he did, but I feel terrible for the little guy. I think I'm going to have to start calling him "Bruiser."

 9:37 AM

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?