<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, October 17, 2003

Friday Five

Today's topic by Gina:

I don't have children myself, but I love to hear the knee-slappers that my godson, his siblings, and my nieces come out with. Or, for that matter, the "logic" espoused by the adults around them when speaking to them.

To whit, what are the most amusing things you've ever heard in a household with children?


I'm at a bit of a disadvantage here, compared to other Friday Fivers, but here goes:

1. Drew was banging the hell out of a table with a wooden recorder, and Melissa (thick with irony) said, "No, honey, that's a woodwind, not a percussion instrument."

2. My three-or-four-year old cousin Hannah -- ever the spitfire -- booming in her thick Southern drawl at her slacker cousin Ashley, who was ignoring a bucket of toys that had been tipped over. "ASH-lee! HAY-yulp!"

3. The same cousin, earlier this year, quietly asking her mother if I was a cowboy. After all, I was from Texas, and I was wearing boots.

4. While visiting my grandparents as a kid, my sister and I asked to go to a video arcade not too far from my grandparents' house. My grandmother replied that it wouldn't be a good idea because -- this being south Georgia -- the arcade "had a dark complexion." A moment passed. Not understanding the racial subtext (or the word "complexion"), my very young sister piped up, "Well, maybe that makes it easier to see the dots and things."

5. Jonah: "dadadadadadadada [bam bam bam bam bam] yayayayayayaya {raspberry} ya ma mada nananananana{grunt}." He's so witty.

Other F5 participants are: Melissa, Adam, Merideth, Will, Chris, Gina, Dave, Colleen, Craig, Gord, Adrienne, and Nanette, Marvin, and Rob.

 10:02 AM

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?