<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, November 10, 2003

Fascinating Discoveries

It never ceases to amaze me when I discover that Jonah has some of my traits. I mean, it's logical and everything, but it's a little disconcerting to see yourself in an eleven-month-old. Just three days ago, I saw the boy furrow his brow exactly like I did in a photo of me as a baby. It's exceedingly strange to see an expression on your child's face that you associate with your own, powerful feelings.

The most recent discovery is that Jonah likes back rubs. A lot. And in particular, he likes to be massaged in the same spots that I do. While we were at the grocery store, I started rubbing his back right around the shoulder blades and the kid started twisting and squirming and laughing like I've never seen. It was like I had found baby catnip. A gentle massage at the base of the neck was almost more than the little guy could stand, and he started kicking his legs just like I do when I'm getting massaged.

I just hope that he's enjoying the sensation of massage, and not already suffering from tension. I just keep thinking about that Paula Poundstone routine, where the kid says "Oh, man, I am beat. I have been at the blocks all day." And I've seen at least one parody commercial for Ben Gay for Kids. I mean, he's not tense, right? Maybe I should watch him really carefully for a while and take him to the doctor three or four times to make sure that he's not tense.

I mean, I have no idea where he would get tension from. Or a furrowed brow. Maybe it's from his mother's side of the family.

Oh, yeah: he has mastered the bilabial fricative, known to the rabble as the "raspberry" or the "Bronx cheer." That's not just lip buzzing, either. He has mastered the full-on, tongue-rattling raspberry. I'm so proud.

 1:45 PM

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?