<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, December 02, 2003

We have to take our epiphanies where we find them, so I'll relate that I have had an epiphany while singing a John Prine song on the way home from work. It's about time that I posted something on my blog anyway.

I've loved the album "Sweet Revenge" ever since I first heard it in college, but I found myself really understanding the song "Dear Abby" for the very first time. It's a simple song, in which the verses are silly letters to Dear Abby. The chorus is her response, which is the same response every time except for the name of her correspondent. For instance, her response to "Bewildered" is:

Bewildered, Bewildered, you have no complaint
You are what you are
And you ain't what you ain't
So listen up, buster, and listen up good --
Stop wishin' for bad luck and knockin' on wood

So there it is. I am what I am, and I ain't what I ain't, and I'm gonna stop wishin' for bad luck and knockin' on wood.

Signed,
Enlightened

 8:14 PM

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?