<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, February 05, 2004

In the past, I've written about how fond I am of XM Radio, the no-commercials satellite radio service. They've just done a channel shake-up. On the whole, it's a good thing -- though they got rid of "Special X," my favorite channel, the one where they would play the weirdest things you've ever heard, like Walter Brennan records. No great loss, because it was better in theory than in practice. I mean, when I'm at work, I don't ever just tune in the "Walter Brennan" channel for a laugh.

But XM has added a new channel called "Lucy" that profoundly disturbs me. Here's the summary:

"Alternative music is nearing its 25th year and where XM's Fred mines the library for the deep stuff, Lucy will focus solely on the biggest, most important songs in Alternative's history. 100% hits from the late 70's Bowie through the New Wave and Grunge eras to the defining songs of the late 90's. One after another... nothing but the monsters of Alternative."

Let me rewrite that for you, without the marketing hype:

"Generation X gets an 'Oldies' station all its own."

Let me explain this to you. Gen X does not need an "oldies" station yet. "Oldies" is for Boomers, who just can't let go of the sixties and seventies. Gen X is cutting-edge. Hardcore. We may wear suits and go to bed at 9:30 these days, and we may have one-year-olds, but we haven't sold out to The Man or anything.

You don't need to cater to us, as if our tastes are out of date. It's not that we're not cool anymore, it's that the music these days sucks. I mean, who wants to listen to that crap? It's all a bunch of noise. No, wait, don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking all of it -- I'm still cool, I like "Hey Ya" and that new song by those guys -- but I mean, the good music is all... it's all...

Hrm.

Come to think of it, the best song I've heard in a while is "The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything."

 8:52 AM

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?