<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, August 13, 2004

Meditative Prayer, Of Sorts

I have recently been trying to spend part of each evening in silence and solitude, as part of a "discipline" to still my thoughts in prayer. The idea is to calm my mind and really listen for once -- to listen to see what God has to say. It's really, really, really hard.

Really.

I mean, you never really think about all the things that flit across your mind until you're trying to stop them. Songs, old skits from TV shows, jokes, things that happened at work, wondering if you locked the car. My head has so much running through it at times that I have a hard time focusing on any one task, which is not the most convenient problem to have while you're at work. Clearing my thoughts felt like mucking out a grease trap. Fortunately, I wasn't near the Internet, which is like crack to the scattered mind.

So I mucked out my mind and sat, quietly, with my eyes closed and my mind stilled, waiting to hear from God. And surely enough, I soon felt a presence near me in the silence, focusing on me intently.

I reached out my hand and touched the face of dog.

Bailiff the German Shepherd, two feet away, staring at me with a placid, expectant look. Suddenly I realized that she was much better than me at "sitting quietly and waiting." I couldn't help but imagine myself as Bailiff, sitting placidly and waiting for God to open his eyes and give me scratchies. And then I thought that maybe God was like Bailiff, always glad to hear from us, just patiently waiting for us to shut off all the extraneous chatter and give Him a call.

Anyway, no scratchies last night. But I'm still hoping.


 10:51 AM

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?